The Arctic Economic Council (AEC) has elected Mr. Tero Vauraste, President and CEO of Arctia Ltd., as Chair for the term 2017-2019. The AEC is an independent organization founded in 2014 that facilitates Arctic business-to-business activities and responsible economic development. The organization held it’s Annual Meeting in Fairbanks, Alaska, on May 9th 2017. The intergovernmental Arctic Council also convenes to a Ministerial Meeting in Fairbanks on May 11th.
In addition to Mr. Vauraste, Finnish business and industry is represented in the AEC by Mr. Rauno Posio, Leader of the Visit Arctic Europe project at the Finnish Lapland Tourist Board, and Mr. Ingmar Haga, Vice President, Europe, at Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd. There are Finnish business representatives also in the Working Groups of the AEC. The Finnish Businesses’ Chairmanship of the AEC supports the five overarching themes of the organization:
- Establishing strong market connections between Arctic states,
- Encouraging public-private partnerships for infrastructure investments,
- Promoting stable and predictable regulatory frameworks,
- Facilitating knowledge and data exchange between industry and academia, and
- Traditional indigenous knowledge, stewardship and a focus on small businesses.
Finnish business representatives in the AEC are supported by a background group that consists of Team Arctic Finland and other businesses active in the Arctic, industry organizations, Finpro, and Ministry representatives. The background group is coordinated by Gaia, a consultancy for sustainable business.
Communications Manager Eero Hokkanen, Arctia Ltd.
tel. +358 46 876 7140, email@example.com